How to Use a Humidifier in a Baby's Room
Home humidifiers add moisture to the air in baby's room during winter months when home heating dries the air. Dry air, according to the Monroe Carell, Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt University, irritates baby's eyes, nose and mouth 1.
Home humidifiers add moisture to the air in baby's room during winter months when home heating dries the air. Dry air, according to the Monroe Carell, Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt University, irritates baby's eyes, nose and mouth 1. You'll need to monitor the humidifier to make sure the central or portable unit stays free from mold, mildew and bacteria growth. These growths create additional problems for your baby.
Fill the water holder of the cold-water humidifier with clean tap water and set it in an area that allows the moist air to cover the entire room. Chose a setting that keeps the air comfortable to breathe but doesn't allow moisture to form on items in the room. Position the air so it flows evenly throughout the room and not directly on baby or the crib.
Clean and dry the humidifier daily to remove stale water and any mildew or mold. Use bottled water for the tank in regions with tap water mineral deposits. This avoids clogging the steam mechanism with deposits and also reduces the risk of lung injuries from breathing the mineral powder.
Select a location where baby can't reach the humidifier or pull the electric cord on the device. Avoid using hot-water humidifiers to reduce the risk of burns from accidents. Research your humidifier brand and model using the online information published by the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission. The CPSC list helps you identify devices with the potential to overheat and cause fires.
- How to Remove Teeth Marks From a Crib Rail
- How to Store Baby Formula When Leaving the House
- How to use dr. brown's microwave sterilizer
- How to Descale the Avent Steam Sterilizer
- What Are the Cons of Humidifiers?
- Safety First Baby Gate Instructions
- How to Clean Mold Off of a Baby's Stroller
- How to Fold a Joovy Caboose
- Evenflo Crib Assembly Instructions
- Instructions for a Munchkin Microwave Sterilizer
- What Are the Dangers of Using a Bulb Syringe on a Newborn?
- Instructions for the Prince Lionheart Wipe Warmer
- How to Use Aloe Vera on Newborns
- How to Warm a Bottle Using a Tommee Tippee Bottle Warmer
- How to Baby-Proof a Spiral Staircase
- BananaStock/BananaStock/Getty Images