How to Clean Cloth Dolls
If your daughter has a cloth doll, chances are she takes it everywhere she goes 1. At some point the doll is going to become dirty. This can happen when the doll is taken outside, or when some food or drink is accidentally spilled on the doll. The good news is that the cloth doll can be cleaned fairly easily 1. In fact, you just may want to clean the doll once per month to keep it looking brand new.
Look the doll over to see if there are any stains. Use a Shout stain stick to pre-treat any stains. Let the Shout penetrate the doll and work on the stain for at least 1 hour before you are ready to wash the doll.
Fill a dish pan with warm water. It is best if you wash your doll by hand rather than throw it in the washing machine.
Add 1 teaspoon of Woolite. Mix the Woolite in the water and then add the cloth doll 1.
Squeeze the doll several times to work the soap inside the doll. Use your fingers and a toothbrush to help work out any of the stubborn dirt and stains.
Empty the dish pan and fill it back up with warm water. Squeeze the doll over and over again until you get all of the soap out. You may have to drain the water and fill it back up more than once to get all of the soap out of the doll.
Wring your doll out and set it out to dry. You may want to place some fans in front of the doll to get it to dry faster.
You can open the back of the doll and remove the stuffing. This will allow you to wash and dry the doll much faster. The only downside is that you will have to sew the doll back up when you are done.
Some types of cloth can't be placed in a dryer because it will cause the fabric to shrink. It is best to allow your doll to dry naturally.
- How to Remove Cigarette Smoke Smell From Dolls
- How to Curl Synthetic Doll Hair
- How to Clean Vintage Barbie Dolls
- How to Clean Madame Alexander Doll Hair
- How to Curl Barbie Hair
- How to Clean an American Girl Doll
- How to Remove Stains on Vinyl Dolls
- How to Appraise a "Gone With the Wind" Barbie Doll
- How to Make Wax Dolls
- How to Get Rid of Mold on a Child's Sippy Cup
- How to Dye Barbie's Hair With Acrylic Paint
- How to Make a Horse Out of Cardboard
- Removing Musty Odors From Dolls
- How to Measure the Size of Doll Babies
- How to Make a Vinyl Doll
- Cleaning a Cloth Doll
- Braden BA, Gaspar PM. Implementation of a baby doll therapy protocol for people with dementia: Innovative practice. Dementia (London). 2015;14(5):696-706. doi:10.1177/1471301214561532
- Mitchell G, Mccormack B, Mccance T. Therapeutic use of dolls for people living with dementia: A critical review of the literature. Dementia (London). 2016;15(5):976-1001. doi:10.1177/1471301214548522
- Mitchell G, Templeton M. Ethical considerations of doll therapy for people with dementia. Nurs Ethics. 2014;21(6):720-30. doi:10.1177/0969733013518447.
- National Public Radio. Doll Therapy May Help Calm People With Dementia. 2016.
- Scales K, Zimmerman S, Miller SJ. Evidence-Based Nonpharmacological Practices to Address Behavioral and Psychological Symptoms of Dementia. Gerontologist. 2018;58(suppl_1):S88-S102. doi:10.1093/geront/gnx167
- Shin JH. Doll therapy: an intervention for nursing home residents with dementia. J Psychosoc Nurs Ment Health Serv. 2015;53(1):13-8. doi:10.3928/02793695-20141218-03
- Mitchell, G. and O’Donnell, H. The therapeutic use of doll therapy in dementia. British Journal of Nursing. 2013; 22(6), pp.329-334.
- Alzheimers Australia Organization. Guidelines for Use of Dolls and Mechanized Pets as a Therapeutic Tool.
- Ng QX, Ho CY, Koh SS, Tan WC, Chan HW. Doll therapy for dementia sufferers: A systematic review. Complement Ther Clin Pract. 2017;26:42-46. doi:10.1016/j.ctcp.2016.11.007
- You can open the back of the doll and remove the stuffing. This will allow you to wash and dry the doll much faster. The only downside is that you will have to sew the doll back up when you are done.
- Some types of cloth can't be placed in a dryer because it will cause the fabric to shrink. It is best to allow your doll to dry naturally.
- Josep Altarriba