How to Build a PVC Talk Tube
Have you ever been to a playground with talking tubes? They're a step up from your grandparent's can-and-a-string, though not much harder to make. Here is everything you need to build your very own.
Building Your PVC Talking Tube
Your PVC needs will depend on how far you plan on running the pipe, as well as any obstacles it may need to circumvent 1. One thing to keep in mind is that voices will actually carry better in a set-up that has some kinks in it, so be sure to add at least a few PVC elbow joints. PVC is available in a wide variety of colors, so if you'd like it to match an existing play set, there isn't any reason to settle for plain white. If you need to cut the pipe to the correct length, use a PVC cutter or hacksaw 1.
If your talking tube is planned for only temporary use, you can simply use the joints to fit the pipes together as needed, then take them apart when you're finished. However, if this is a more permanent set-up, for instance, if you are running the tube around or beneath an existing play set, then some PVC cement is a good idea. Apply the cement to both sides of the fitting, and allow to dry for 60 seconds before attaching the pipes. Cement should be dry in 2-3 hours.
If you want to run your pipe underground, it is a good idea to assemble it first, that way you will know exactly how deep to dig, and what the tubes will look like when complete 1. If your play set is already constructed and it is too difficult to dig beneath it, consider running the pipe underground around the set. Voices will carry a great distance through the pipe.
- How to Make a Vinyl Doll
- How to Hang a Tire Swing When You Don't Have a Tree
- How to Make a Trailer From Plastic Barrels
- How to Create Silicone Dolls
- How to Assemble a Disney Princess Indoor/Outdoor Tent
- What Is the Difference Between LEGO & DUPLO?
- How to Cook a Steak for Children
- How to Make Plastic Dolls
- How to Repair the Face of a Composition Doll
- How to Convert a Pipe Into a Bubble Pipe
- Games for Kids With Toothpicks
- How to Make a Horse Out of Cardboard
- Do it Yourself Belly Casting
- How to Make Your Own Action Figure Ball Joints
- How to Make a Child's Cupcake Dress for a Pageant
- Jupiterimages/liquidlibrary/Getty Images