We Value Your Privacy

We and our partners use technology such as cookies on our site to personalise content and ads, provide social media features, and analyse our traffic. Click below to consent to the use of this technology across the web. You can change your mind and change your consent choices at anytime by returning to this site.

Update Consent
Loading ...

How to Obtain a Certified Birth Certificate From Washington, D.C.

By Ashley Leonard ; Updated April 18, 2017
A way to obtain your birth certificate

If you have misplaced your birth certificate, obtaining a new one may seem daunting. In order to get a certified copy of your birth certificate you will have to go to the place of your birth and apply for a new one. If that place is Washington, D.C., you will have to fill out an application and pay a fee, much like in other places. Following the rules that are specific to your place of birth will make the process easier.

Loading ...

Fill out the birth certificate request application on the District of Columbia Department of Health’s website (see References). On the application, include your name, address, birth date, Social Security number, the hospital of your birth, and your mother and father’s full name.

Indicate the type of birth certificate you are requesting. On the application, you have two birth certificate options to choose from: the original certificate or the computer certificate short form. The fee for the original certificate is $23, while the computer certificate short form is $18. You can include the fee in the form of a check or money order, made out to D.C. Treasurer.

Place your address on the check or money order. The D.C. Treasurer requires that an address be placed on the check or money order to be accepted for deposit.

Print the completed form and sign it. The District of Columbia Department of Health states that for all mail-in requests a stamped self-addressed business-size envelope must be included with the application. The certified copy of your birth certificate will be mailed to you using the self-addressed envelope.

Enclose a copy of your photo identification, such as your driver’s license or passport card. Mail the completed application and supplemental documents to the Department of Health--Vital Records Division (see References for address). You can find the address on the website or on your application.

Things You Will Need

  • Birth certificate request application
  • Application fee
  • Stamped self-addressed business-size envelope
  • Copy of identification card
Loading ...

About the Author

Based in New Jersey, Ashley Leonard has been writing professionally since 2007. Her articles have appeared on rsportscars.com and various other websites. Leonard holds a Bachelor of Arts in communications from Marymount Manhattan College.

Loading ...