How do I get my name on my child's birth certificate?

When a child is born, the name of the child's father and mother can be recorded on the child's birth certificate. Often, the hospital or midwife responsible for delivering the baby will send off the paperwork to request the newborn's birth certificate. The mother's name is required on the birth certificate. Sometimes, the father's name is left off. In such cases, each state has a set of procedures that will allow the father to add his name to the birth certificate.

Visit or contact the State Department Of Vital Records for the state where the child was born. To get the address and telephone numbers for the Department Of Vital Records for each state, you can refer to the Centers For Disease Control and Prevention website (see References for link) 1.

Ask the Department of Vital Records representative for the form that is required to add a father's name to a child's birth certificate. The exact name of this form will vary by state. For example, in Minnesota the form is referred to as a "Recognition Of Parentage" form. In Georgia, the form is called a "Paternity Acknowledgement" form. In Illinois, it is called a "Voluntary Acknowledgment of Paternity" form.

Complete the form, but do not sign it.

Take your completed form to a Notary Public to have it notarised. You must sign the form in the presence of the Notary Public. You will also have to show a valid ID (such as a driver's license, state ID, or passport) to the Notary Public to authenticate your identity.

Submit the notarised form to the State Department of Vital Records. If you want to receive an updated copy of the birth certificate showing your name, you will have to pay an additional fee to obtain your copy. This fee will vary by state.