What Do Teen Boys Wear in Italy?
Italy is one of the fashion capitals of the world, and because adolescence is all about self-consciousness, your teen will want to fit in. Fashion choices for Italian boys, like American boys, range from the mundane to the flamboyantly fierce. But with all of the innovative fashion coming out of Italy, your son is bound to find clothing that fits his personality and makes him feel comfortable.
Tight and Tailored
Skinny jeans are fashionable for teens all over the world, and while baggier styles remain socially acceptable for boys and men in the U.S., Italian teens often favor more form-fitting clothing. Your son will likely see teenage boys in skinnier jeans or shorter shorts than he’s used to seeing on teen boys in the U.S. Teen boys in Italy are also more likely to have clothing that is tailored, with attention to the cut and the details. Jeans are likely to be fashionable, clean, and fit right, rather than worn thin and full of holes.
Attention to Detail
One of the hallmarks of Italian fashion, according to a 2013 article by Jos Kelly for Fashionbeans.com, is attention to detail 1. Italian teens might project a laid-back attitude, but this doesn’t mean they haven’t thought about their outfits. Kelly writes, “The art of sprezzatura, commonly defined as 'a certain nonchalance, so as to conceal all art and make whatever one does or say appear to be without effort and almost without any thought about it,' relies on attention to detail.” A pocket watch, handkerchief, scarf, or the part in one’s hair might be carefully chosen to accentuate an outfit.
While the Italians might be famous for making formal wear look informal and effortless, the Italian version of “dressing down” is still far less casual than the contemporary U.S. version for teenagers. Italian teenagers dressed casually in jeans and T-shirts will still have them pressed, clean, and tailored rather than looking sloppy, and will often choose accessories to match. You might see Italian teens mixing formal wear and casual wear by wearing a button-down shirt with a waistcoat and jeans, but leaving the top button unbuttoned.
Attention to Fashion Trends
If your son wants to know what teen boys in Italy are wearing, have him look to the trends from the most recent fashion week. Magazines such as "GQ" will feature the latest styles. "GQ" style pictures from Milan’s spring 2013 fashion week include clothing in bright colors, slip-on loafers, sports coats and high-top sneakers 2.
- What Types of Clothes Do Teens Wear to Homecoming Dances?
- Magazine Ideas for Teenagers
- What Parents Wear to a High School Graduation
- How Do Models Affect Teens?
- What Do Kids Wear to Weddings?
- Customs of Teenagers in Spain
- What to Wear for Opposites Day in Preschool
- How to Make Bratz Clothes
- Difference Between Girls Size & Juniors Size Clothes
- Pressure on Teens to Wear Fashionable Clothes
- Parent vs. Celebrity Influence
- Does the Way Your Kids Dress Affect How They Do in School?
- Treasure Hunt Clues & Riddles for Teens
- Are There Negative Effects of Teen Magazines?
- Making a Sergeant Pepper Outfit
- Stefania D'Alessandro/Getty Images Entertainment/Getty Images