Home Remedies for Babies With Dry Hair
Babies can have dry hair for many different reasons, including over-shampooing and cradle cap. Regardless of the cause, the result is the same -- dry, brittle and unmanageable hair that may also leave the scalp feeling itchy and parched. Treating your baby’s dry hair at home gives you a gentle, cost-effective alternative to harsh chemicals often found in store-bought treatments.
Natural Oils and Herbs
Olive oil, almond oil and apricot oil are absorbent and hydrate the hair without leaving it feeling greasy. After washing your baby’s hair, rub a small amount of oil into his hair and scalp 4. For additional benefits and a fresh scent, infuse the oil with rosemary or lavender leaves by adding the herbs to the oil and gently heating it for 20 minutes -- cool completely before applying it to your baby's head -- or letting it sit at room temperature for a week before using.
Homemade Hair Conditioner
In a small bowl, beat together three egg whites, 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar. Before washing your baby's hair, apply the mixture to his hair and let it sit for 30 minutes if he will tolerate it, then wash it out. Avoid getting the mixture in your baby’s eyes 4. Alternatively, you can use a prepared mayonnaise and achieve similar results.
Routine Care for Prevention
Unlike older children and adults, your baby’s hair does not need to be washed every day. Aim for once a week and only use a mild baby shampoo. Never use adult products. Wipe your baby’s hair with a soft, damp cloth in between washings to remove spit up and spills as needed.
- How to Dye Barbie Hair
- How to Care for a Silicone Doll
- Home Remedies for Hair Care for Babies
- How to Get Mildew & Mold Off Strollers
- How to Bleach Doll Hair
- How to Clean Vintage Barbie Dolls
- How to Curl an American Girl Doll's Hair
- How to Boil Baby Bottle Nipples
- How to Recondition Doll Hair
- How to Dye Barbie's Hair With Acrylic Paint
- How to Use Aloe Vera on Newborns
- How to Clean Rubber Dolls
- How to Clean Madame Alexander Doll Hair
- How to Curl Barbie Hair
- How to Restore Baby Shoes
- Smart Medicine for a Healthier Child; Janet Zand, et al.
- The Complete Book of Essential Oils & Aromatherapy; Valerie Ann Worwood
- Vinegar: 1001 Practical Household Uses; L&K Designs
- Group Health: Taking Care of Your Baby After the First Few Weeks
- Pixland/Pixland/Getty Images