A Swollen Nipple in Kids
Childhood is a time of major physiological changes, including, perhaps, a swollen nipple. Your child’s nipple can be swollen for several reasons, but most of those reasons are not serious. Although a swollen nipple in your child might alarm you, remain calm for your child’s sake. If your child develops a swollen nipple, contact your pediatrician for a proper diagnosis.
One of the first signs of puberty in a female is the development of breasts. Development of breasts begins as a painful swelling under one or both of a girl’s nipples, according to the website Keep Kids Healthy. If your daughter is younger than 8 years old and begins to develop breasts, she might be going through early puberty, which is also called precocious puberty. In addition to swollen nipples, precocious puberty is characterized by pubic hair growth and a growth spurt. If you notice these changes in a child younger than 8, contact your doctor.
Gynecomastia is defined as the growth of abnormal breast tissue in males 1. Gynecomastia, which is not uncommon during puberty, generally begins as a small lump beneath the nipple, which gives the nipple a swollen appearance 1. Approximately 70 percent of boys will develop breast tissue during puberty, according to Massachusetts General Hospital. The development of breast tissue occurs as a result of a hormonal imbalance that disrupts the amount of estrogen and testosterone in your son’s body. Generally, the imbalance only causes the swelling to occur on one nipple. Once the hormonal imbalance is corrected, the swelling should go down.
Underneath your child’s nipple lies a layer of fat tissue. If your child carries extra weight or begins to gain weight, some of the excess fat deposits around the breast tissues and may appear as a swollen nipple. With some healthy eating and increased exercise, the appearance of swelling should go away.
Although worry might tempt you to poke and squeeze your child’s nipple in an attempt to figure out the cause, resist the urge. Poking and squeezing the nipple will only increase redness and tenderness and prevent the swelling from dissipating. Most causes of swollen nipples in children are not serious. If the swollen nipple is accompanied by signs of an infection, such as redness, tenderness or discharge or if your child has a fever, contact your doctor.
- Medline Plus: Gynecomastia
- The New York Times: Breast Pain
- Powell RW. Breast Pain. In: Walker HK, Hall WD, Hurst JW, editors. Clinical Methods: The History, Physical, and Laboratory Examinations. 3rd edition. Boston: Butterworths; 1990.
- Greydanus DE, Matytsina-Quinlan L. Breast concerns and disorders in adolescent females. Pediatr Med. 2019;2:28. doi:10.21037/pm.2019.06.07
- Brisbine BR, Steele JR, Phillips EJ, McGhee DE. The Occurrence, Causes and Perceived Performance Effects of Breast Injuries in Elite Female Athletes. J Sports Sci Med. 2019;18(3):569-576.
- Helm MF, N helm T, F bergfeld W. Skin problems in the long-distance runner 2500 years after the Battle of Marathon. Int J Dermatol. 2012;51(3):263-270. doi:10.1111/j.1365-4632.2011.05183.x
- Boakes E, Woods A, Johnson N, Kadoglou N. Breast Infection: A Review of Diagnosis and Management Practices. Eur J Breast Health. 2018;14(3):136-143. doi:10.5152/ejbh.2018.3871
- Eren T, Aslan A, Ozemir IA, et al. Factors Effecting Mastalgia. Breast Care (Basel). 2016;11(3):188-193. doi:10.1159/000444359
- Kent JC, Ashton E, Hardwick CM, et al. Nipple Pain in Breastfeeding Mothers: Incidence, Causes and Treatments. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2015;12(10):12247-12263. doi:10.3390/ijerph121012247
- Kim SK, Won YH, Kim SJ. Nipple Eczema: A Diagnostic Challenge of Allergic Contact Dermatitis. Ann Dermatol. 2014;26(3):413-414. doi:10.5021/ad.2014.26.3.413
- Feroze K, Manoj J, Venkitakrishnan S. Allergic contact dermatitis mimicking mammary Paget's disease. Indian J Dermatol. 2008;53(3):154-155. doi:10.4103/0019-5154.43210
- Management of breast conditions and other breastfeeding difficulties. In: Infant and Young Child Feeding: Model Chapter for Textbooks for Medical Students and Allied Health Professionals. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2009.
- Niazi A, Rahimi VB, Soheili-Far S, et al. A Systematic Review on Prevention and Treatment of Nipple Pain and Fissure: Are They Curable? J Pharmacopuncture. 2018;21(3):139-150. doi:10.3831/KPI.2018.21.017
- Dubar S, Boukrid M, Bouquet de Joliniere J, et al. Paget's Breast Disease: A Case Report and Review of the Literature. Front Surg. 2017;4:51. doi:10.3389/fsurg.2017.00051
- Kumar PK, Thomas J. Erosive adenomatosis of the nipple masquerading as Paget's disease. Indian Dermatol Online J. 2013;4(3):239-240. doi:10.4103/2229-5178.115534
- Cadwell K, Turner-Maffei C, Blair A, Brimdyr K, Maja McInerney Z. Pain reduction and treatment of sore nipples in nursing mothers. J Perinat Educ. 2004;13(1):29-35. doi:10.1624/105812404X109375
- Hemmer JM, Kelder JC, van Heesewijk HP. Stereotactic large-core needle breast biopsy: analysis of pain and discomfort related to the biopsy procedure. Eur Radiol. 2008;18(2):351-354. doi:10.1007/s00330-007-0762-3
- Buck ML, Amir LH, Cullinane M, Donath SM. Nipple Pain, Damage, and Vasospasm in the First 8 Weeks Postpartum. Breastfeeding Medicine. 2014;9(2):56-62. DOI: 10.1089/bfm.2013.0106.
- Geffroy, D., & Doutriaux-Dumoulins, I. (2015). Clinical abnormalities of the nipple-areola complex: The role of imaging. Diagnostic And Interventional Imaging. 96(10), 1033-1044. DOI: 10.1016/j.diii.2015.07.001.
- Lopes LL, Lopes IMRS, Lopes LRS, Enokihara MMSS, Michalany AO, Matsunaga N. Mammary and extramammary Paget’s disease. Anais Brasileiros de Dermatologia. 2015;90(2):225-231. DOI: 10.1590/abd1806-4841.20153189.
- Purim KSM, Leite N. Sports-related dermatoses among road runners in Southern Brazil. Anais Brasileiros de Dermatologia. 2014;89(4):587-592. DOI: 10.1590/abd1806-4841.20142792.
- Santos KJ da S, Santana GS, Vieira T de O, Santos CA de ST, Giugliani ERJ, Vieira GO. Prevalence and factors associated with cracked nipples in the first month postpartum. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth. 2016;16:209. DOI: 10.1186/s12884-016-0999-4.
- Hemera Technologies/PhotoObjects.net/Getty Images