We Value Your Privacy

We and our partners use technology such as cookies on our site to personalise content and ads, provide social media features, and analyse our traffic. Click below to consent to the use of this technology across the web. You can change your mind and change your consent choices at anytime by returning to this site.

Update Consent
Loading ...

How to Change a Kid's Last Name in Oklahoma

By Samantha Volz ; Updated April 18, 2017
There are a number of reasons to change a child's last name.

According to the New Last Name name change guide, which outlines name changing laws by state, marriage and divorce are the main reasons for changing a name within the United States. Whatever your reason, you may someday need to change the last name of a minor under your guardianship. Oklahoma requires those seeking to change last names to file a petition with the county courts and to go through a court preceding.

Loading ...

Compose a petition requesting the minor's name change. The petition must include the name and address of the guardian requesting the change, details about the child (birth certificate number and area where the certificate is registered; date and place of birth and current residence information), the desired new name, a statement of reason for the change and a statement that the change is not being made for any illegal purposes.

File this petition with your local district court. The department you are required to visit may vary by court; visit your district court house and follow all directions to file the petition; you will be given a court date for your petition request.

Contact your local newspaper about printing your petition. Include the date and time of the court hearing in the publication. Oklahoma law requires that you print the petition in a county newspaper for at least 10 days before the trial, so that anyone with any objections can be at the hearing. File proof of publication with the District Court.

Attend the assigned court hearing and answer all questions from the judge. The judge will approve the name change unless he finds that the petition includes false information, that the name change is being conducted for an illegal reason or there are strong enough objections from anyone involved in the case.


There is a fee required for filing a petition; that fee can vary by district.

Find templates for the minor's name change petition at your District Court or on the New Last Name web site.

Loading ...

About the Author

Samantha Volz has been involved in journalistic and informative writing for over eight years. She holds a bachelor's degree in English literature from Lycoming College, Williamsport, Pennsylvania, with a minor in European history. In college she was editor-in-chief of the student newspaper and completed a professional internship with the "Williamsport Sun-Gazette," serving as a full-time reporter. She resides in Horsham, Pennsylvania.

Loading ...