My Sprained Ankle Is Itching
The causes of a sprained ankle are many, including a misstep, sports injury or fall 3. One of the symptoms of this injury is swelling at the site. When your skin swells, it also stretches, which may cause it to itch.
The causes of a sprained ankle are many, including a misstep, sports injury or fall 3. One of the symptoms of this injury is swelling at the site. When your skin swells, it also stretches, which may cause it to itch. Treating an itchy sprained ankle at home is usually appropriate, but if home methods don't work, contact your doctor 3.
Swollen, stretched skin is likely the reason your ankle itches after a sprain. However, some of the treatments for a sprained ankle may be playing a role as well 3. According to MayoClinic.com, certain pain medications cause itching 23. If this is the case, you likely will feel itchiness on other parts of your body as well as your ankle. If this occurs, stop taking the medication and call your doctor. The itching sensation also could be due to contact dermatitis 1. This condition occurs when your skin is exposed to an irritant or allergen. If you are applying an anti-itch cream or wearing a compression bandage, you may be having a reaction to either product. Contact your doctor for alternatives.
Once the cause of your itchy skin is diagnosed, your doctor will recommend an appropriate treatment for it. This is likely to include topical creams that don't contain irritants that may worsen the condition. Oral medications also may be prescribed and are good choices if you have sensitive skin. If your choice of bandage is causing the itch on your sprained ankle, one made from cotton may be easier on your skin 3. Keeping the area covered helps keep you from scratching, allowing the area to heal.
Keeping swelling at bay as your sprained ankle heals reduces the chance of itchy skin 3. MayoClinic.com suggests icing the area for 15 to 20 minutes every couple of hours and elevating your ankle as often as possible 23. If your skin tolerates it, a compression bandage also controls swelling. While your ankle heals, apply a gentle moisturizing lotion often to keep the skin hydrated and reduce itching associated with swelling or skin irritation. Cool, wet compresses offer quick relief for an itch as does a cool foot bath containing baking soda or ground oatmeal.
Scratching an itchy patch of skin on your sprained ankle could lead to an infection, particularly if the skin is cracked 3. If the skin in the area breaks open, treat it with an antibacterial cream and keep it covered to prevent further scratching. According to MedlinePlus, contact dermatitis can cause further swelling, making prompt treatment important for hastening the healing process 1. If itchy skin persists in the area after your ankle heals, contact your doctor to rule out an underlying health condition.
- MedlinePlus: Contact Dermatitis
- MayoClinic.com: Itchy Skin
- MayoClinic.com: Sprained Ankle
- Martin R, McGovern R. Managing ankle ligament sprains and tears: current opinion. Open Access J Sports Med. 2016;7:33-42. doi:10.2147/oajsm.s72334
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. Sprained Ankle. Updated February 2016.
- Khor YP, Tan KJ. The Anatomic Pattern of Injuries in Acute Inversion Ankle Sprains: A Magnetic Resonance Imaging Study. Orthop J Sports Med. 2013;1(7):2325967113517078. doi:10.1177/2325967113517078
- Dewar RA, Arnold GP, Wang W, Drew TS, Abboud RJ. The effects of wearing an Ankle Stabilizing Orthosis (ASO) Ankle Brace on ankle joints kinetics and kinematics during a basketball rebounding task.Foot (Edinb). 2019 May 7;40:34-38. doi: 10.1016/j.foot.2019.05.003. [Epub ahead of print]
- Mun JU, Cho HR, Sung YJ, Kang KN, Lee J, Joo Y et al. The role of the anterior talofibular ligament area as a morphological parameter of the chronic ankle sprain.J Orthop Sci. 2019 May 16. pii: S0949-2658(19)30129-0. doi: 10.1016/j.jos.2019.05.001. [Epub ahead of print]
- Stockbyte/Stockbyte/Getty Images