Are Paint Fumes Bad for a Child's Health?
Applying paint to walls or furniture might seem like a simple do-it-yourself project, but if you have a youngster in the house, proceed carefully. Both oil-based and water-based paints emit dangerous chemicals into the air, called volatile organic compounds. By learning how paint fumes can affect children’s health, you can keep your youngster safe from environmental dangers of paint.
Volatile organic chemicals are present in many products, including paints and glues. Possible short-term health issues from VOC exposure include headaches, nausea, dizziness, tiredness and eye irritation, according to the Thurston County Washington Public Health and Social Services website 1. Long-term health issues from VOC exposure include damage to the central nervous system, liver and kidneys.
Water-Based Verses Oil-Based
Oil-based paints contain high concentrations of VOCs due to the typical exterior application of these paints. With environmental exposure to moisture, wind and sun, the VOCS enable the paint to dry hard and withstand harsh weather conditions, according to the Yosemite Environmental Protection Agency 2. Water-based paints release fewer chemicals into the air, but they do release dangerous chemicals, including ethylene glycol ethers, mercury and formaldehyde.
Paint fumes aren't good for anyone, but there are increased risks for children, mainly due to the fact that kids are smaller and that their bodies are still growing and developing, according to the Healthy Schools Network. A child proportionately breathes more per pound than adults breathe. Children also lack the ability to protect themselves the same way adults can, which means that they may experience exposure to paint fumes without understanding what’s happening or trying to get away from the fumes.
When planning a painting project, choose a VOC-free or low-VOC paint. Even with these paints, always read the label, and if the paint contains propylene glycol and glycol ethers, mercury or formaldehyde, don't use it. Children exposed to these chemicals and solvents could develop stuffy noses, asthma and eczema. Choose a paint product specifically manufactured to not contain potentially harmful solvents and chemicals. Remove children from the area during painting. Open windows while painting, and ventilate the room with a fan in a window to pull exterior air into the room. After you finish painting, keep children away for at least 72 hours while the paint dries and the fumes dissipate. Continue ventilating the painted area during the drying time to reduce odors.
- Can Children Get Sick From Animals Peeing in the House?
- Nose Problems in Dry Climate
- Are Cooking Fumes Bad for Pregnant Moms?
- The Causes of Dark Purple, Puffy Eyes in Children
- Dry Nose in Children
- Can Kids Eat Rare Meat?
- Are Non-Toxic Children's Paints Harmful If Swallowed?
- How To Clean Humidifier Mold
- Are Wood Stoves Bad for Babies?
- The Health Risks of Temporary Tattoos for Children
- How to Get Mildew & Mold Off Strollers
- What Colors Are Pleasing to Kids With Sensory Issues?
- How to Treat Itchy Skin on Babies
- Extremely Dry Nose
- What Are the Cons of Humidifiers?
- Thurston County Washington Public Health and Social Services: Indoor Painting
- Yosemite Environmental Protection Agency: Air Pollution and Pregnancy
- Healthy Schools Network: What you Need to Know to Protect Child and Adult Environmental Health
- Mother Earth News: Are Water-Based Interior Paints Safe for Kids?
- David Sacks/Photodisc/Getty Images