We Value Your Privacy

We and our partners use technology such as cookies on our site to personalise content and ads, provide social media features, and analyse our traffic. Click below to consent to the use of this technology across the web. You can change your mind and change your consent choices at anytime by returning to this site.

Update Consent
Loading ...

How to Put a Child Up for Adoption

By Contributor ; Updated July 28, 2017

Once you have decided to put your baby up for adoption, there are several ways to proceed.

Loading ...

Contact a licensed adoption agency - your physician or public health agency can refer you. They will choose the adoptive parents and take care of legal matters.

Contact an attorney, doctor, or other third party to arrange an independent adoption. No agency is involved, and the adoptive parents pay medical and legal costs, as well as any other costs mandated by the state.

Arrange an open adoption, in which you will have contact with both the child and the adoptive parents after the birth.


For help, look in the Yellow Pages under "Adoption Services," or ask your physician or religious leader for referrals. You can also try your state or county Health Care or Human Services agency.


As a birth mother, you have certain rights. Deal with an experienced agency or individuals, and/or involve an experienced adoption attorney to advise you of your rights and state laws regarding adoption.

Loading ...

About the Author

This article was written by a professional writer, copy edited and fact checked through a multi-point auditing system, in efforts to ensure our readers only receive the best information. To submit your questions or ideas, or to simply learn more, see our about us page: link below.

Loading ...