Can Kids Eat Cashews?
Given the serious nature of peanut allergies, it's not surprising that parents feel nervous about offering children other nuts, like cashews. Like many foods, the safety of cashews depends on a number of factors, including your child's age and food allergies 4. Indeed, according to the World's Healthiest Foods website, cashews can be an excellent source of protein and unsaturated fatty acids for kids 4. That doesn't mean they're a smart choice for every child or appropriate served in every form.
In Australian children with nut allergies, peanuts were the most common allergen, affecting approximately 83 percent of children, according to the website of Sydney Children's Hospital 2. Cashews followed at 13 percent. An allergic reaction to cashews is no less serious than one to peanuts, which means the first time you give your child cashews it should be somewhere with easy access to emergency medical care and transportation, not on remote cabin in the mountains.
Cashews Aren't Universally Safe Substitutes
Cashew butter or candy bars can seem like logical solutions for children who are allergic to peanuts, but they aren't necessarily a safe alternative. Factories and stores that grind cashew butter or assemble cashew bars on the same equipment, or using the same tools, as were used to make peanut butter or peanut bars can cause an allergic reaction, according to the Kids with Food Allergies website 3.
Children under the age of 4 years-old should avoid foods like cashews, for the same reason they shouldn't eat whole grapes and almonds. The curved, rounded shape of a cashew can easily get lodged in a child's airway if swallowed whole. The same choking hazard is present for freshly ground cashew butter -- its sticky, chunky consistency can be difficult for a young child to swallow in large gobs or spread on crackers, warn officials with the United States Department of Agriculture 1.
Which Kids Should Eat Cashews?
The best candidates for eating cashews are children old enough to eat food without having it cut into small pieces, and who have safely consumed other tree nuts in the past, such as walnuts or almonds. Children who eat cashew products or bars, or any other products that could be made on equipment shared with peanuts, should know beforehand that they're not allergic to peanuts as well.
- When Can Kids Have Hot Dogs?
- Can Kids Eat Clams?
- Safe Rubber for Babies to Chew On
- Can Children Take Nettle?
- Can Kids Eat Rare Meat?
- How to Cook Liver for a Baby
- Are Protein Bars OK for Kids?
- The Healthiest Types of Pasta
- Safe Lawn Fertilizer for Children
- Are Lemon & Honey Good for Toddlers?
- When Can Kids Eat Popcorn?
- Can Kids Eat Things Cooked in Beer?
- What Causes Loose Stools in Adults?
- Symptoms of Allergies to Peas & Beans
- How to Get Children to Take Spirulina
- United States Department of Agriculture: Team Nutrition -- A Guide for Use in Child Nutrition Programs
- Sydney Children's Hospital: Tree Nut Allergy
- Kids With Food Allergies: Peanut Allergy -- Do You Have to Avoid Tree Nuts, Too?
- World's Healthiest Foods: Cashews
- Nuts, cashew nuts, raw. FoodData Central. U.S Department of Agriculture. Published April 1, 2019.
- Cleveland Clinic. Nutrition: nuts and heart health.
- Mah E, Schulz JA, Kaden VN, et al. Cashew consumption reduces total and LDL cholesterol: A randomized, crossover, controlled-feeding trial. Am J Clin Nutr. 2017;105(5):1070-1078.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, National Institutes of Health. Vitamin K fact sheet for health professionals. Updated February 24, 2020.
- Jackson CL, Hu FB. Long-term associations of nut consumption with body weight and obesity. Am J Clin Nutr. 2014;100 Suppl 1(1):408S–11S. doi:10.3945/ajcn.113.071332
- de Souza RGM, Schincaglia RM, Pimentel GD, Mota JF. Nuts and human health outcomes: A systematic review. Nutrients. 2017;9(12):1311. doi:10.3390/nu9121311
- Ros E. Health benefits of nut consumption. Nutrients. 2010;2(7):652–682. doi:10.3390/nu2070652
- Darvish Damavandi R, Mousavi SN, Shidfar F, et al. Effects of daily consumption of cashews on oxidative stress and atherogenic indices in patients with type 2 diabetes: A randomized, controlled-feeding trial. Int J Endocrinol Metab. 2019;17(1). doi:10.5812/ijem.70744
- Mohan V, Gayathri R, Jaacks LM, Lakshmipriya N, Anjana RM, Spiegelman D, Willett WC. Cashew nut consumption increases HDL cholesterol and reduces systolic blood pressure in Asian Indians with type 2 diabetes: A 12-week randomized controlled trial. The Journal of Nutrition. 2018;148(1):63–69. doi:10.1093/jn/nxx001
- Satija A, Bhupathiraju SN, Spiegelman D, et al. Healthful and unhealthful plant-based diets and the risk of coronary heart disease in U.S. adults. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;70(4):411-422. doi:10.1016/j.jacc.2017.05.047
- American Academy of Allergy Asthma & Immunology. Everthing you needed to know about tree nut allergy.
- Balasubramanian B, Sherfudeen KM, Kaliannan SK, Murugesan K. Cashew nut shell liquid poisoning. Indian J Crit Care Med. 2016;20(1):57–58. doi:10.4103/0972-5229.173696
- Settaluri V, Kandala C, Puppala N, Sundaram J. Peanuts and their nutritional aspects—a review. Food Nutr Sci. 2012;12(3):1644-1650. doi:10.4236/fns.2012.312215
- Liu AG, Ford NA, Hu FB, Zelman KM, Mozaffarian D, Kris-Etherton PM. A healthy approach to dietary fats: Understanding the science and taking action to reduce consumer confusion. Nutr J. 2017;16(1):53. doi:10.1186/s12937-017-0271-4
- Tuso PJ, Ismail MH, Ha BP, Bartolotto C. Nutritional update for physicians: Plant-based diets. Perm J. 2013;17(2):61-66. doi:10.7812/TPP/12-085
- Stockbyte/Stockbyte/Getty Images