What Are the Benefits of Competitive Sports for Youth?
Children who play competitive sports receive a great deal of good from the experience 1. Physical, mental and emotional development are enhanced by playing competitive sports, and playing sports can also help combat childhood obesity. Sports are a great way to get kids involved with their community and with others their age.
Children who play sports are more likely to be physically fit, have a healthy weight and maintain a better body image. A healthy body contributes to a healthy mind, and regular exercise contributes to overall physical and mental health. Competitive sports require discipline and focus from children, especially as they grow older. A child who can keep her body focused on the sport may also have an easier time focusing her mind on school work.
Competitive sports are challenging for youth. They require kids and teens to cooperate, compete in a sportsmanlike way, use strategy and communicate with one another. All of these attitudes can be developed through playing sports. According to the University of Florida Extension, youth sports can enhance a child's emotional and mental development, helping him to mature at a steady and accelerated rate. The mental benefits of playing youth sports can last for a lifetime 1.
Youth who play sports form a circle of social acquaintances. They will become better able to make friends, socialize with others and respond in constructive ways to conflict. Competition is a situation in which conflict and problems inevitably arise, and children who play sports are more likely to handle conflict in positive ways. Communication is a major part of competitive sports, and students who learn to communicate play and react more positively.
- Exercises for Teaching Assertiveness in Teens
- Mental Health Games for Children
- The Effects of Peers on Child Development
- How Do Extracurricular Activities Enhance a Child's Development?
- The Disadvantages of Children in Sports
- Do Sports Keep Teens Out of Trouble?
- How Children's Development Is Influenced by External Factors
- The Influence of Parents & Teachers on Cognitive Development
- What Are the Benefits of Parent Involvement in Schools?
- What Are the Effects on Children Whose Parents Push Them in Sports?
- Barriers to Childhood Development
- What Are the Causes of Teenagers' Lack of Moral Values & Self-Discipline?
- Can Music Affect Teens in a Positive Way?
- The Advantages of Strict Parents
- Environmental Influences on Human Growth & Development
- soccer image by Sandra Henderson from Fotolia.com