Grants for Single Mothers of Adopted Children

By Melinda Kedro
Jupiterimages/Pixland/Getty Images

Adopting a child and making her a part of your family as a single parent can be a highly rewarding yet challenging experience. Perhaps you are concerned about meeting the financial requirements necessary to finalize your adoption. You may be seeking assistance to return to school, pay the bills or afford appropriate professional services for your adopted child. Depending on your specific needs, resources do exist for single mothers of adopted children.

The Adoption Process

If you are still attempting to finalize the adoption of your child, it is possible you are struggling financially to do so. Several organizations award grants to potential adoptive parents, including single mothers. The Gift of Adoption Fund, the Affording Adoption Foundation and A Child Waits Foundation all offer support to those individuals seeking financial assistance to finalize an adoption. As long as you have completed a home study through a licensed home study examiner and you are working with an agency to place a child in your home, you are eligible to apply for a grant through one of these organizations.

Adoption Tax Credit

A federal Adoption Tax Credit is available to individuals raising an adopted child. Although the tax credit is not specifically a grant, it helps parents identify expenses related to adopting and caring for an adopted child. The tax credit can apply to all forms of adoption including international, public foster care or domestic private adoption. Speak with an accountant about how the tax credit is advantageous to you as a single mother and what information needs to be reported on your taxes to ensure maximum benefits.

Grants for Single Mothers

A multitude of grants are available for single mothers who may be struggling financially or who wish to seek further education in order to increase their yearly income through career advancement. If you find yourself having difficulty affording living expenses for your family, consider the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program. Assistance is given to low-income single mothers to help pay for clothing, food and shelter. You can also seek help through the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program in order to meet your child's nutritional needs. The Federal Pell Grant and Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant are awarded to single mothers requiring financial assistance to attend college.

Contact a Representative

The North American Council on Adoptable Children (NACAC) provides support and resources to parents of children adopted through the foster care system. Many of these children require additional assistance to help transition and adjust to a new home and adoptive parent. The NACAC website includes a comprehensive, state-by-state guide of volunteers who can be contacted for detailed information on resources available in your area. If you adopted your child through the foster care system, take advantage of the post-adoption services that NACAC outlines on their website. The National Adoption Foundation is another organization that provides post-adoption services, including grants for adoptive parents.

About the Author

With more than 10 years experience in early childhood education, Melinda Kedro holds a Masters degree in education, teaching certification through the Association Montessori Internationale and is a licensed childcare provider through the Colorado Department of Human Services.