Grants for Single Parents With a Baby

By Tracy Alverson Euler

There are more than 100 grants that are available for parents who are raising a child by themselves. Raising a child on your own is hard, emotionally and financially. If you are eligible for help, jump on the opportunity. There are different types of grants that can become available for single parents.


Housing Grant

The most common grant for single parents is a housing grant. If you are the breadwinner for your family, a housing grant can help ease the pain of your mortgage or rent. You might have the opportunity to receive public housing with a rent that meets your income, or you can have part of your rent paid for on your current home.

Education Grant

If you are a single parent who wants to continue your education, many programs are available to send you back to school. Whether you need to finish high school or get started on a college degree, there are options out there.

Utility Grant

If you have a tough winter where you live and you find your heat bill is double what you normally pay, finding a grant that can help with a portion of the cost can give you a huge boost. Your local electric and gas companies might have options for single parents who fit in a certain income bracket. Inquire about that before the cold weather hits, and you're slammed with a bill you can't pay.

Automobile Grant

A car grant can be tough to get, but it's not impossible. If you live in a place where public transportation is not readily available and you can't afford your own vehicle, you may be eligible to receive assistance. As a single parent, it's important that you have a means of transportation in case of an emergency and to meet your basic needs as a family.

Things to Consider

Applying for a grant isn't fun. There's paperwork, background checks, income status and a slew of other routine checkups that may occur. Each state and grant have different requirements. You might wait months before hearing whether you can receive a grant, and even than it might be bad news. Do not be discouraged if the answer is no. Consider applying again.


Most grants will require that you are a U.S. citizen whose child is not currently enrolled in the foster care system. For many grants, there are income requirements, and if you are making too much, you will not be able to apply or receive the grant. For grants that are college-related, a high school diploma is a must.

About the Author

Tracy Alverson Euler has been a creative writer for five years and holds a Bachelor of Arts from Eugene Lang University. Alverson Euler has been published in LaChance publishing's Anthology on alcoholism, and has an anthology coming out in 2010 on balancing motherhood.