Epoxy-based coatings are often used to seal concrete floors. Epoxy is a high-gloss, durable finish on most surfaces, creating a barrier between the elements and flooring.
According to Crosslink Technology, epoxy is a common flooring treatment that should be used with caution. The process of preparing to apply an epoxy floor can release dust particles into the air that can be harmful to children and adults. Children should be removed from the area where the epoxy will be applied.
Epoxy in liquid form can cause reactions resembling an allergic reaction in children if they physically come in contact with the substance. Reactions in children can range from irritation of the skin and eyes to headache.
Until epoxy has cured, or completely dried, after application, which can take upwards of 2 weeks, children shouldn't be allowed near the area. Keep areas fully ventilated until epoxy has dried to keep hazardous fumes from permeating other areas of the house.
Cured epoxy does not pose any health risk to children. To completely avoid any potential issues, properly clean epoxy floors with household cleaners before allowing children to play in the painted area.
There is always a risk children may be allergic to various substances, including dry and cured epoxy. Watch children for signs of skin irritation or breathing issues when in an area that has been recently treated with epoxy.