Most parents want and expect their babies' personal items to be clean and sanitary, so it's not surprising if you're grossed out and upset to find mold on your baby's stroller. There's a greater risk of mold growth if you store your stroller in a dark and damp location or if you fail to clean up moist food or formula promptly. Fortunately, mold is usually easy to clean, and it's possible to remove it without using harsh chemicals that may put your little one at risk.
Place your stroller outside in the sun. Brush away surface growth with an old toothbrush or a gloved finger. Do not inhale the spores.
Scrub the moldy area with soap and water and rinse well. Leave the stroller in the sun for several hours to dry.
Clean any remaining mold by dampening the area with lemon juice, sprinkling salt on top of the area and then leaving it in the sun to dry. Rinse very well. If your stroller is a bright or dark color, you may want to test a small area with lemon juice first. Lemon juice can cause slight lightening of some fabrics.
Remove larger mold stains by mixing three parts white vinegar to two parts water in a spray bottle. Wet the entire area. Allow to sit for one hour and then rinse thoroughly.
Use a mixture of 2 tbsp. chlorine bleach and 1 quart of water to remove stubborn mold from light or white fabrics or plastics. Spray the solution onto the moldy area, scrub the area well and then rinse with clean water.
Check any foam or fabric on your stroller carefully for the presence of mold. Mold can hide beneath straps and inside cracks. If there's evidence of mold growth, spot-test the material before disinfecting with bleach and vinegar to prevent damage. If it's possible to remove the fabric, do so carefully and then wash the fabric or foam in hot soapy water and place it in the sun to dry. Follow the manufacturer's directions. This should be sufficient to kill most mold.
Keep the mold from returning by wiping the stroller down frequently, cleaning up spilled food and drinks as soon as they occur and storing the stroller in a dry location when not in use.
Generally, most mold is not harmful to health unless the exposed person has a sensitivity to it or suffers from a pre-existing health condition, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website. However, it's always better to be safe than sorry, so watch your stroller closely for signs of regrowth that may indicate your mold treatment was not fully successful.